Hippos, Orangutans, and More!
With 63 acres of land in a tropical setting, you will definitely want to make this a day trip to allow you to see everything and really experience ZooTampa. This is a wonderful place, whose mission is to, "Rescue, rehabilitate and care for animals; create exceptional personalized experiences that connect people with wildlife and each other in fun, immersive ways."
And boy do they do a good job at that!
ZooTampa at Lowry Park offers fun activities, great education programs, and of course up-close animal encounters. Not only do you have fun here, but you learn a lot of great information at the same time.
The zoo is split into different sections/regions depending on where the animals are from.
· The "Asia" section contains animals such as the Indian Rhino, Komoda Dragon, and Malayan Tiger.
· The "Primates" section has adorable Orangutans (personal favorite), and lemurs.
· “Africa” consist of animals life Giraffes, African Elephants, Pygmy Hippos, and Meerkats.
· The “Wallaroo” section has Koalas, Bats, and Emus.
· The largest section is the “Florida” section, which has Stingrays, Alligators, Black Bears, and even the endangered Florida Panther.
Next time you're in the area, and especially if you have the kiddos with you, plan a trip to ZooTampa at Lowry Park. You, and the kids, will love it! (warning, summers here are HOT & HUMID, so plan accordingly)
ZooTampa at Lowry Park is about and an hour - an hour and a half from Anna Maria Island.
Some other great local places to go and see animals include; Myakka State Park (see alligators in the wild), and Mote Marine (sea life) in Sarasota!
1101 W Sligh Ave
Tampa, FL 33604